- Created by: Ben Phillips
- Created on: 23-05-11 12:40
An Uncertain Future?
Uncertainty: Means that a range of possible future outcomes exists, but we don't know which one will actually happen.
Risk: Requires knowing the probability of each of the possible outcomes and the impacts of each one.
Risk averse: Reluctant to take chances and inclined to "play safe"
- The tendency of national or global economic activity to fluctuate between upswing, boom, downturn and recession.
- Gross Domestic Product.
- main measure of national income
- It is the market value of the goods and services produced in a country in a given time period
State of Economy:
- A time of rapid economic growth
- low unemployment
- Rising inflation
- Increased consumption
- Increased consumer confidence
- Consumers are less confident= Fall in aggregate demand, as they spend less
- When sales are slow, businesses will cut output
- In 2008, the downturn came when mortgages were hard to obtain, cutting demand for housing, which had a knock on effect for the construction industry.
- 2 or more successive quarters in the economic cycle in which GDP is falling
- Firms will cut output
- Cause uncertainty for the business
- Depreciation of machinery
- Depreciation will eventually lead to businesses investing in new machinery
- Governments can also have positive impacts
- Technological breakthrough
- Rise in…