Functionalists see the Family as a functional prerequisite of society.
Murdoch said the family has 4 key functions:
- sexual – expressing sexuality in a way which is socially acceptable
- Reproduction – needed to provide a suitable way to raise children
- Socialization - “primary socialization” helps teach children socially acceptable behaviour and values of the society (value consensus)
- Economic - provides food and shelter for family members
Parsons argues that there are 2 main functions of the family, Primary socialization of children and stabilization of human personalities.
- Primary socialization of children – Parsons said society would not function if the family did not socialize future generation into the value consensus, culture, language, history and morals of today society.
- stabilization of human personalities – The pressures of modern society can “destabilize personalities”. Parsons said…