- Stresemann was Chancellor in 1923 only.
- His main role was as Foreign Minister from 1924
- He was a right-winger and more able than Ebert
- He built up Germany’s prosperity again although all of Europe was recovering
- He signed Germany up to the Dawes Plan in 1924
The Dawes Plan - 1924
- Germany’s reparations paid over a longer period
- America lent money to German industry and also to the Government to pay reparations
- German currency reorganised
- USA payed loans to Germany. Germany paid reparations to GB & France. GB & France paid war debts to USA.
Stresemann showed real skill in foreign policy - 1925
1. Locarno Treaties - 1925
2. 1926 - Germany joined the League of Nations
3. Young Plan - 1929
Aftera a number of years in the wilderness Germany was accepted back into the international community.
- Germany, France, Italy, Belgium, Czechoslovakia, Poland met at Locarno in Switzerland.
- Signed a number of treaties to settle disputes between themselves
- France, Belgium and Germany agreed to accept borders as drawn up by Treaty of Versailles
- Rhineland stayed demilitarised
- France would protect Poland and Czechoslovakia if attacked by Germany
- Germany would not use force to settle disputes with neighbours
League of Nations
- The League of Nations was the fore runner of the United Nations
- Its aims were to:
- prevent aggression by any nation
- Encourage co-operation between nations
- Work towards international disarmament
- Improve the living and working conditions of all people
- The core was collective security – members of the League could prevent war by acting together .
Other features of the Stresemann Years
- Golden age of German cinema
- Night life, cabaret
- Removal of censorship
- Unemployment and poverty still high
- Growing prosperity based on USA loans
- What would happen if USA wanted the money back?
- Stresemann wasn’t popular with either the extreme nationalists like Hitler and the Nazis, or with the Communists
- Hitler disliked the League because it supported the Treaty of Versailles
- BUT both the Nazis and the Communists made little progress in these years because people were much better off and their EXTREME ideas did not appeal to people