- Created by: Sweettilly
- Created on: 05-06-19 19:53
The Ridolfi plot
BACKGROUND ON PLOT
- After the failure of Northern earls revolt and Papa bull, Elizabeth and her privy council treated Catholics with suspicion
THE PROGRESS OF THE RIDOLFI PLOT
- Robert Ridolfi worked as a spy for the pope
- 1571-plotted to kill Elizabeth and put MQOS on the throne.
- March 1571- Ridolfi travelled o Netherlands (Spanish land) to discuss the plot with the pope, Phillip ii and the Duke of Alma. Ridolfi had a letter signed by the Duke of Norfolk declaring he was Catholic and pledged to lead the rebellion with Phillips support.
- Sir William Cecil uncovered the plot and was able to prove that Norfolk was guilty of high treason. Ridolfi remained abroad and didn't return to England.
- Norfolk was executed (June 1572) Mary wasn't punished (fear of Catholic anger, and threat of France and Spain)
1 of 2
The Ridolfi plot PART TWO
THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THE RIDOLFI PLOT
- The threat of MQOS and English Catholics remained
- Reinforced the threat of Spain, as Phillip would support any plots against Elizabeth.
- The threat from Spain meant that England needed to improve relation with France.
- Catholics were monitored and treated more severely.
2 of 2