- Created by: AliceEva
- Created on: 14-03-15 17:40
- Society decides what it and what is not a deviant act, For exmaple the difference of a man being ******* in public and a woman,
- "Deviant behavoir is behavoir which people so label"
- Thus deviance is a social construction
- A crime is only a crime when it has been labelled as one.
- Thus, the same act might have a different social response
- Comiting an act of deviance leads to being labelled, There are 3 effects.
1) Master status is acheived - a status which derives any others that you have.
2) Self Fulfilling prophecy - turning into what your label expects of you
3) Join a subculture or people labelled with a similar master status.
This leads to more crime > DEVIANCE AMPLIFICATION
- However Becker dosent explain why this person committed the crime in the first place.