strengths of social psychology
>Makes a contribution to understanding behaviour in a social context
>Supports for situational explanations of behaviour as social influences have been shown to have a stronger effect than dispositional factors.
>Supports nurture side of nature-nurture argument.
>Practical applications with social policy.
>Well controlled research can be conducted=reliable and valid.
>Social phenomenom is important to everyday life.
Weaknesses of social psychology
>Focuses on social factors and may ignore other explanations of behaviour.
>Many studies provide only superficial snapshots of behaviour and ignores the development of behaviour over time.
>hard to test many areas in a valid way.
>tightly controlled studies lack ecological validity
>conclusions may be ethnocentric
How do core studies apply to the strengths
- Milgrim And Bocchiarios study both support the situational hypothesis.
- Both studies have practical applications within social policy.
- Both well controlled studies.
- They both look into how external factors influence us.
How do core studies apply to the weaknesses
- Both Milgrim and Bocchiarios studies lack validty due to the use of deceit.
- Both studies were in lab conditions therefore lack ecological validity.
- Conclusions in both were ethnocentric as participants in both studies were from one area.
- Bocchiarios study Bocchiarios study tried to eliminate the idea of looking at just social factors by using personality inventories (HEXACO P-I-R and Decomposed Games.)