Worlds largest state
- Tsarist Russia was the largest land empire in modern history. It was over 5000 miles.
- Before the extension of the railway east, it would take would take months to travel form St Peterburg to Vladivostok.
- Russia was divided into sections of vegetation.
- The main crop area was in the west near the asian part of the empire.
1 of 3
Economy and society
- Russia was a rural country with agriculture as a mainstay of the economy.
- Agriculture had to feed Russia's large and growing population.
- Grain was the biggest export for Russia.
- Even though Russia was rich in coal and iron their industrial side was modest.
- At the top of society was the Tsars who had absolute power.
- Underneath was the court, containg leading landowners and members of the government.
- These were led by the orthodox church which supported the Tsar.
- The capatalists are under them.
- Then their is the army.
- Finally are the peasents and the serfs.
2 of 3
Alexander II 1855-1881
- Serfdem was the biggest problem facing Russia.
- Over 80% of the population were peasents and over half were serfs.
- In 1861 the serfs were amacipated however they were not completely free.
- They were tied to the land and they had to pay their owners compensation.
- They had to ask village elders if they could leave the village.
- This moderenised Russia dramtically.
- He introduce the first form of elective government however it was limitd to wealth and education.
3 of 3