Volcanoes - Montserrat (Questions)
What is the name of the volcano?
Where is it?
When did it erupt?
What was the death toll?
What plate margin was it at?
Volcanoes - Montserrat (Answers)
The Soufriere Hills Volcano
Montserrat, a small island in the Caribbean Sea
June 25th 1997
Destructive (one plate under another)
Montserrat - Impacts & Responses (Questions)
What were two primary impacts?
What were secondary impacts?
What were two immediate responses?
What were two long-term responses?
Montserrat - Impacts & Responses (Answers)
- large areas covered in mud and ash
- 20+ villages destroyed by pyroclastic flows
- vegetation/farmland destroyed
- tourists stayed away destroying economy
- poulation decline
- volcanic ash improved soil fertility
- evacuation to safer areas
- shelters built for temporary housing
- local services search/rescue survivors
- risk map created
- UK gave £41m developing north of island
- Montserrat Observatory predicts future eruptions