- Created by: rosemustard
- Created on: 02-04-13 08:31
The problems of religious language.
The problem of religious language
- How meaningful is religious language?
- Can we ever talk about God in a meaningful way?
- Some philosophers argue that religious language is used in a different way to normal language despite the same vocabulary being used.
- Some assert that it is cognitive and therefore something about God must be known.
- Some see that we anthropomorphize God in a way to allow our human brains to comprehend something about God and his nature.
The logical positives
- They were a group of philosophers in the 1920's
- They did NOT seek to understand how we gain knowledge of the external world, rather how we use knowledge as a means to convey this knowledge.
- ONLY THOES THINGS THAT CAN BE EMPIRICALLY VERIFIED CAN HAVE MEANINGFULLNESS.
1 of 1