Changing Attitudes to Marriage, Divorce, Family Li
Reasons for attitudes changing-
- Society becoming alot more acceptant of things that traditionally considered different or not the 'norm'. Diversity is celebrated a positive thing
- Historical events such as the abolition of slavery, votes for womens rights, democracy and freedom of speech. This has allowed other groups to protest for equal rights in society
- Tv has had an impact on the Nation. Exploration of issues on prorammes such as soap operas and the less tradiitonal vaules being accepted gradually encourages people to accept these situations as the norm.
- Mixture of cultures and ideas in the UK making the country a multi-faith and multi-ethnic society. People of different traditions and faiths has become acceptable.
Christian Attitudes to Sex Outside Marriage
The bible teaches that Sex outside of marriage is wrong. Sex is an act of love and commitment and should only take place in marriage. This includes pre-marital Sex and adlultery. Christians are taught to avoid promiscuity and believe married couples should show faithfulness.
The Bible Says:
- 'You shall not commit adultery' -Exodus 20:14
- 'Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit' - 1 Corinthians 6:19
- 'Anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart' Matthew 5:28
Christian Attitudes: Against
- The Bible only allows Sex between marriage patners
- Adultery breaks the marriage vow of faithfulness
- Children born outside of marriage may have a less stable family life
Purpose of Christian Marriage and How This Is Show
Christians believe that marriage is a gift from God. The Roman Catholic Chuch and the Church of England believe marriage is a sacreament and therefore the bride and the groom should be Christian. Other Potestant Churches believe tat marriage is very important but not that it is a sacrament and so, in some cases, will allow mixed faith weddings.
Good Quote to know- 'For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh'- Genesis 2:24
This quote suggests:
- The mark of the shift of responsibility from the parents to the child
- A sexual relationship when two people become one
- Between a man and a woman (Heterosexual)
- Betweem those two people only (monogamous)
Within Christianity, the purpose of marriage is to
- Be faithful to one partner, procreate, provide love and companionship.
Christian Attitudes To Divorce
A divorce is granted by the courts when a marriage has 'irretrievably broken down' (there is no way these people can ever stay together). The usual reasons are adultry, unreasonable behavouir or desertion.
In the UK about 1/3 of marriages end in divorce. Here as some of the reasons for this
- People are less willing to put up with bad treatment from their partners.
- People are less religious and do not feel bound to their mrriage vows.
- Divorce is relatively quick and often inexpensive
Christian Attitudes To Divorce (Continued)
Roman Catholic Church
- Does not allow divorce- Marriage is a sacrament, a sacred agreement made before God and should be broken
- Will allow an annulment of the marriage- If the couple can prove- They did not know what they were doing, were forced into the marriage ect..
- Allows divorce in some circumstances and allows re-marriage in church- Human beings can make mistakes and relationships do break down
Christian Attitudes To Homosexuality
Evangelical Conservative Christians
- Are strongly opposed to homoSexulaity and believe homoSexuals can be changed by prayer-'No man is to have Sexual relations with another man; God hates that'- Leviticus 18:2
The Roman Catholic Church
- Recomends that homoSexuals should remain celibate (not have active Sexual relationships)-Bases on biblical teachings, being homoSexual is not a sin, but having homoSexual Sex is.
The Church of England
- Is more sympatheitc although divided- HomoSexual partnerships are judged on the strength of the love and commitment of the partners
Christian Attitudes To Homosexuality (Continued)
- Welcome homoSexuals into the Church- Religion is a spiritual issue, not a Sexual one
Christian Teachings On Family Life
Christians believe that the basis for a stable society is that children learn about God and Christian faith. Most people have nuclear families however some have re-constituted families, single-parent families and families with same sex parents.
The importance of family is shown in the Ten Commandments 'Honour your Mother and your Father'- Exodus 20:12