THE CARBON CYCLE:
1) carbon dioxide is taken by plants for photosynthesis, and then are made into carbohydrates.
2) plants release the CO2 through respiration.
3) the carbon dioxide is taken by the plants and animals eat them.
4) plants AND animals release CO2,
5) when the animals and plants die, they decompose and microbes feast on the remains.
6) these microbes then continue to release CO2.
FREQ WAVE LENGTH USES ABSORBED BY:
RADIO WAVES - LOW- BIG tv/radio transmitter --------------------
MICROWAVES phones/microwaves- water molecules
INFRARED remote control- green house gases
VISIBLE LIGHT sight film/eye
ULTRA VIOLET tanning/detecting forgery- ozone/suncream
X-RAYS sterilising/radiotherapy- x-ray film
GAMMA RAYS- HIGH- SHORT sterilising/radiotherapy- thick lead
INTENSITY OF RADIATION:
INTENSITY OF RADIATION
when a body absorbs radiation, the amount of heat it gains depends on the intensity and the time of exposure.
number of photons
ALARA principle: as low as reasonably achieved.
PRECAUTIONARY PRINCIPLE: better safe than sorry.
ionoisation-increases risk of cell mutation.(cancer)