- Created by: emilynaicker95
- Created on: 30-05-15 18:30
PARADISE LOST: Context
- Historical: Milton's view of Women was more moderate than most of the time.
- Literary: Milton was inspired to write epic poetry after having read Homer’s Odyssey and Virgil’s Aeneid.
- Religious: Milton’s epic stands as a remarkable presentation of biblical stories meant to engage Christian readers and help them to be better Christians.
1 of 2
- Historical: Jonson grew up in Charing Cross, a mile outside the walled city of London, where the poor and wealthy alike lived in close proximity.
- Theatrical: Commedia Dell’arte was a form of theatre characterised by masked ‘types’ which began in Italy in the 16th Century.
- Biographical: Volpone was Jonson’s attempt to unite his violent past with his views on morality and art through his classical education at Westminster.
- Geographical: Venice had suffered years of English stereotyping that had led to its viewing as the seat of greed, corruption and decadence.
2 of 2
Similar English Literature resources: