Hitler's Racial Hierarchy
1) Aryan (Nordic) - the master race.
2) Caucasian (British)
3) Black & Asian
4) Jews, Roma, Gypsys.
Why were they persecuted - Used as scapegoats for Germany's problems. Racially considered to be at the bottom of the hierarchy. History of anti-semitism in Europe.
How were they persecuted - They were banned from certain jobs, they were banned from local services and eventually they were taken to concentration camps.
Mentally and Physically Disabled
Why were they persecuted - Believed to be a be a burden of society. They were seen to be stopping Hitler from achieving his master race.
How were they persecuted - The T4 euthanasia programme was introduced. From 1939-1945 5000 mentally ill and handicapped people were killed.
Why were they persecuted - Part of a social catagory that existed in Germany and got in the way of Hitler's aims of repopulation.
How were they persecuted - Many sent to concentration camps. Forced sterilisation as Hitler wanted to 'stop the spread' of homosexuality.
Nazi Persecution Cont...
Beggers, Tramps and Alcoholics
Why were they persecuted - He felt these people were work shy and did not support his ideas of working together for a strong Germany.
How were they persecuted - Hitler pursued a policy of forced sterilisation. He did not want any of these 'social' diseases being spread through children.
Why were they persecuted - Hitler felt they were racially inferior to the Aryans. Often with Slavic heritage. They were a threat to Hitler's master race.
How were they persecuted - Five out of every six German living Gypsies were killed by the Nazis from 1939.
Nazi Policies and Opinions
- Had to buy flats and settle down permanently.
- Germany had 45,000 gypsies.
- Very richly cultured groups.
- Hitler believed they were unhygienic and antisocial nuisances and 'beggers'.
- Persecution became a policy.
- Government encouraged boycotting Jewish shops.
- Explosion of hatred.
- Forced to leave jobs.
- Claimed too much money spent on disabled people.
- People protested against it.
- Killed about 60 at a time with gas - mass murder.