- Created by: Georgiauntisz
- Created on: 07-05-18 17:37
Morpeth floods- Case study
Morpeth- Wansbeck River Basin
- Extreme low pressure system
- 6th of september 2008
- 230% of rainfall normally expected in the whole of september
- Wansbeck valley is steep and narrow with rapid surface runoff.
- Soil already saturated from a wet summer
- Error made from environment agency's flood warning system meant that the middle greens area did not get a warning.
- Delivery of sandbags too late
- Pleasure boats were supposed to be used as rescue boats were already flooded.
- One thousand properties affected
- 90 businesses flooded.
- Property damage £40 million
- 400 residents evacuated
- High ford wier destroyed
1 of 2
Morpeth floods- Responses
- Fire fighters, ambulances, RAF, RNLI.
- Morpeth flood disaster fund raised over £20,000
- Environment agency working with the Northumberland Country Council to develop a scheme to reduce flooding risks in Morpeth.
- This encloses the building of a large dam of the Mitford Estate to hold water further upstream.
- Repairing and strengthening of culverts
2 of 2