- employment is split into PRIMARY, SECONDARY, TERTIARY and QUATERNARY.
- countries often move through stages from one sector to the next.
- UK now 76% employment in TERTIARY AND QUATERNARY
- CLARK-FISHER model - any use?????
KEY IDEAS - pre-industrial to industrial to post industrial
- not all countries do this eg Kenya skipped secondary/industrial and went straight to post industrial with TOURISM
Industrialisation changes a pre-industrial society into and industrial society eg Mexico. primary = 15% SECONDARY = 35%
TERTIARY AND QUATERNARY = 50% CHEMICALS AND FOOD
deindustrialisation is when manufacturing declines while tertiary and quaternary expands as in Germany primary = 3% secondary = 31%
tertiary and quaternary = 66% KNOWLEDGE BASED INDUSTRIES, RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT