Believing in God - How a Chrisitian upbringing may
HOW A CHRISTIAN UPBRINING MAY LEAD TO OR SUPPORT BELIEF IN GOD
- Children belive what their parents tell them
- Get taught that prayer is natural and part of everyday life
- Church atmosphere will make it more likely to think that God exists
- Going to Sunday School / Christian school and learning about the existance of God
Believing in God
HOW RELIGIOUS EXPERIENCE MAY LEAD TO BELIEF IN GOD
1. THE NUMINOUS AND BELIEF IN GOD
- The numinous is a feeling of the presence of God. When people are in a religious building, in a beautiful place, or looking up at the stars, they may be filled with the awarenss that there is something greater than them, which could be God. This is because nothing could make something as beautiful as this other than God- someone not human.
2. CONVERSION AND BELIEF IN GOD
- Conversion is when someone has an experience of god that is so great the the person wants to change their life and commit themselves to God. They feel like God is calling them through this experience and wants them to do something for him.
3. MIRACLES AND BELIEF IN GOD
- A miracle is an event that breaks the laws of science and the only explanation is God.
Believing in God- Prayer
- All Christians believe that they can communicate with God through prayer, it is a gift from God and he is always listening. All Christian Churches encourage people to pray. There are many different types of prayer, from formal to informal.
HOW PRAYER MAY LEAD TO BELIEF IN GOD
- If the peson praying to God feels like God is listening then this is a religious experinece throught prayer, especailly when their prayer is answersed. If an atheist or agnostic prays for a loved one out of the blue and if the prayer is answered it might lead them to believe in God.