- Created by: BubblyNotes
- Created on: 03-04-17 10:18
Summary of The Rise of the Nazi Party
- In 1918, after Germany lost the First World War, the Kaiser abdicated. The new government, the Weimar Republic, signed the hated Treaty of Versailles and had to cope with Germany's economic problems
- Many Germans held the Weimar government responsible for the Treaty of Versailles, the French invasion of the Ruhr (1923) and hyperinflination. There were attempts to overthrow it in 1919,1920, and 1923. From 1924, the governement recovered mainly due to the work of Gustav Stressemann.First he established better foreign relations. But the Depression of 1929 undid much of Stressemanns work
- The Nazi part was one of several parties that gained support in the 1920s. By 1923, led by Adolf Hitler, it had its own private army (the SA) and tried to take the government by force.This failed and Hitler was imprisoned, on his release , the Nazis worked to be elected to power.
Narrowed Notes on The ending of the First World Wa
- 11th November 1918 5am the Armstice was signed
- No conversation w/ enemy allowed
- Peace and safety was a new thing
- (after the end)
- Cheers, dancing,wine, happiness
- War ended w/ a ceasefire (where they stopped fighting)
Events in 1918:
- The Kaiser was forced to abdicate (quit being king) and a Germanr epublic was established ( The Weimar Republic) this was a democracy
- On 11th November 1918, the new leaders signed the armstice which ended the war.
- In June 1919 the Weimar politicians signed Treaty of Versailles which offically bought the war to an end.
Strengths & Weaknesses of the New constitution:
Strengths of the New Constitution
It was more democratic. Proportional representation meant no single party had all the power. The 18 German states could still pass local laws and run local police forces; central governments was not all powerful.
Weaknesses of the New Constitution
Free speech laws allowed unchecked criticism of the Weimar constitution. Coalition governments were often weak and collapsed. It was often hard to get the majority vote needed to pass laws so hard to act quickly and decisvely to help economy
Basic facts about The Weimar Republic
- Set up in Germany after Kaiser had been overthrown
- Constitution signed in Weimar
- German governement
The Weimar Republic
The Political spectrum
- Communists (socialists)
- Wanted workers to control Germany and to shone wealth
- Against the democratic govt.
-Popular w/ workers
- Social democrats
-Made up the new Weimar govt
-Wanted to prevent revolution and help German businesses recover
-Wanted a strong Germany and strong leader
-Against the democratic govt.
-Popular with the army and middle class and some workers