Voters for the Conservative Party will typically be:
- middle class
- living in the south, rural areas and suburbs
Voters for the Labour Party will typically be:
- young people and members of ethnic minorities
- working class
- living in the north and inner cities
Political Beliefs & Changes
In a capitalist society there will always be a divide between the poor (proleteriat) and the rich (bourgeoisie).
However there is not going to be a change in the political beliefs of Britons, so we have to accept this divide.
Now, Trade Unions have less power than they did 20 years ago.
If a country wants to be a democracy it has to do & agree to certain things. For example in a democracy:
- Free & fair elections are held in which everyone is entitled to vote (this one can change a little, for example, in the UK, people under 18 cannot vote)
- The government is held to account by elected representatives
- People hold a series of civil liberties e.g freedom of speechh and association
- There is an existence of several different demands and beliefs, e.g pro-life & pro-choice