- Created by: HarryS02
- Created on: 23-05-20 10:46
What was the general feeling about Government in 1
- The dislike for foreigners didn't affect government
- After the Wyatt rebellion, unrest was limited
- Council was not impeded, despite Philip
- Mary placed Catholics in positions of responsibility
- Privy council was extended to 43 members BUT not a problem as it was rare for all of them to turn up
- Some argued that Mary's council was ineffective
What was introduced to aid the efficiency of counc
- Establishment of committees, excluded casual councillors
- Establishment of 'inner council'
- Philip's departure and the death of Gardiner allowed Paget to dominate court and he established a concilliar form of government
Was there rivalry in the government?
- Clashes between members, Paget and Gardiner disagreed over heresy laws
BUT this didn't effect the meetings and establishment of new laws
- Most of the time the council overcame the rivalries, Paget and Gardiner for the most part, put aside their differences
Domestic struggles under Mary's government.
- Mary extended royal authoirty in the localities, managed her parliament
- She organised the rebuilding of the navy and reorganised the militia
- She laid the foundations for the reform of coinage
- She increased the crown's revenue from customs
- 5 hospitals were starting to be build under Mary