who can achieve all these criteria?
- according to the criteria most of us are abnormal to some degree
- we need to know how many of these behaviours need to be absent for a person to be classed as abnormal
1 of 3
is mental health the same as physical health?
- ideal physical health is detected by problems in physical illness such as a fever and physical illnesses have physical causes such as virus
- most mental illnesses aren't caused by physcial factors
- therefore, we can't assume mental health is the same as physical health and so we can't diagnose someone as mentally ill in the same way as someone who's physically ill
2 of 3
- many ideas of ideal mental health are culture bound. if this criteria is applied to non western groups, we may find a higher incidence of abnormality
- for example, the criteria of self actualism/ personal growth, is relevent to individualist cultures but not to collectivist cultures who work together for the greater good of their community
3 of 3