Chapters One and Two Summary
- A group of boys are evacuated due to a war involving England. They become marooned on a small island.
- Ralph and Piggy meet and find a conch. Ralph blows the conch to call other survivors, who gather together on the beach.
- A group of choirboys arrive, led by Jack Merridew. They are mostly older boys.
- Ralph is elected leader but Jack is not pleased. Jack and his choir become the hunters.
- Ralph, Jack and Simon explore the island. Jack almost kills a piglet.
- A meeting is called. The conch becomes a symbol of authority.
- The boys argue over the existance of a beast on the island.
- A fire is lit to attract attention but it burns out of control. A boy with a birthmark disappears.
1 of 6
Chapters Three and Four Summary
- Jack takes delight in tracking pigs but fails to kill any.
- Ralph constructs shelters but with only limited success due to lack of help.
- Jack and Ralph argue over priorities.
- Simon goes into the forrest alone.
- Roger and Maurice destroy the smaller children's sandcastles. Roger throws stones at Henry.
- Ralph spots a ship. The chance of rescue disappears because the fire is left unattended.
- The hunters return with a pig. Ralph is angry with Jack for letting the fire go out.
- Feeling guilty, Jack lashes out at Piggy and smashes a lens in his glasses.
- Ralph is upset and calls a meeting.
2 of 6
Chapters Five and Six Summary
- Ralph points out the requirements for survival.
- Discussion turns to the 'beastie', which Jack and Piggy dismiss.
- Unseen by the boys. a dead parachutist drifts on to the island near the fire.
- Sam and Eric believe the parachutist to be the beast and rush to tell the others.
- The boys gather on the platform and Jack suggests they hunt the beast.
- Ralph, Jack and the older boys head off together. Piggy stays behind with the 'littluns'.
- Ralph goes alone to the unexplored part of a rocky outcrop where he is soon joined by Jack.
3 of 6
Chapters Seven and Eight Summary
- Ralph notices how dirty the boys have become.
- Ralph and the hunters try to kill a wild boar and, in a frenzy, re-enact the event.
- Ralph, Jack and Roger hunt for the beast on the mountain-top. They see the dead parachutist, and think it is the beast.
- The boys discuss the beast. Jack believes the hunters can kill it. Ralph knows they are just boys armed with sticks.
- Jack unsuccessfully tries to overthrow Ralph as leader. He wanders off, soon secretly joined by many of the older boys.
- The hunters kill a sow. They plan to invite the others to a feast with the aim of stealing their fire, and they put the pig's head on a stick.
- Simon has a 'conversation' with the pig's head, then falls unconscious.
4 of 6
Chapters Nine and Ten Summary
- Simon sees the dead parachutist and knows the truth about the beast.
- Ralph and Piggy join the other boys' feast. They dance and chant as thunder strikes.
- Simon stumbles into the tribal circle. He is seen as the beast and killed in a frenzied attack.
- Simon and the parachutist are washed out to sea.
- Ralph, Piggy, Sam and Eric show signs of guilt. Ralph becomes confused.
- Jack and his hunters set up camp on the rocky outcrop.
- Three hunters attack Piggy at night and steal his glasses.
5 of 6
Chapters Eleven and Twelve Summary
- Ralph, Piggy, Sam and Eric decide to confront Jack.
- Piggy is killed by a falling rock when Roger leans on a lever, catapulting the rock towards him. The conch is also destroyed.
- Sam and Eric are captured by the hunters, leaving Ralph alone.
- Jack and his hunters track Ralph as if he is a pig.
- Jack sets most of the island on fire in order to fluch out Ralph.
- As Ralph collapses on the beach, he looks up and sees a naval officer. He is rescued!
6 of 6