Christian beliefs about creation
- God created the world in 6 days
- On the 7th day God rested- origin of the Sabbath day
- The world created by God is very good.
- It is ordered, fruitful and contains everything that is needed.
- God created humans on the 6th day.
"Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth."
Christian belifes about creation
- God took man and put him in the Garden of Eden to till it and keep it.
- Adam and Eve the first humans, job is to look after the garden and all the creatures.
- Free to eat of every tree except the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
- Eve eats from the tree, then Adam and they are banished from the Garden of Eden.
Humans have a God-given responsibility of being his 'stewards'. i.e they must look after the world on his behalf.
This is shown in both passages, "have dominion over" and "to till and keep it".
Humans are to enjoy the world but within the limits set by God and they should obey his will.
Humans should not exploit the world and all of its natural resources, it doesn't belong to them, they are just looking after it on God's behalf. A problem phrase is "dominion over" which some people might take to mean complete control, however it should be translated as "be responsible for". Therefore humans should look after the environment.
Christian treatment of animals
Some Christians belive that the creation story suggests that humans should be vegetarian, "I give you every seed-bearing plant...and every tree that has fruit with seed in it they will be yours for food" This doesn;t mention using animals for food.
Others argue that this is only one particular part of the bible and in other parts humans eat meat and also sacrifice animals to God.
As long as animals are raised in satisfactory conditions and slaughtered appropriately, there is nothing wrong with eating meat.
Christian treatment of animals
The creation stories show that humans are creatures just like the other animals. Some Christians would therefore agree that hunting, cosmetic testing and medical testing on animals is not the right way to practice stewardship.
However, Christians belive humans have souls which make them individual, able to have a spiritual connection with God and the soul will live beyond death. Animals do not have souls, this could be a reason why humans are considered in some way different to animals.
Some Christians may believe that medical testing on animals is appropriate as it could save a human life which is worth more than that of an animal.
Islamic Creation Story
- All creation was made by Allah, he said 'Be' and it was created.
- He decided what the universe should contain, what laws it should obey and when it should die.
- Two things were capable of chhosing whether to follow Allah's will or not- humans and jinns ( spirits)
- When Alah created humanity he tool 7 handfuls of soil, each a different colour. He moulded humans of out his soil and breathed life into the clay.
- The first 2 humans were Adam and Eve.
- They were told not to eat from the tree of eternity bt they disobeyed Allah and were banished from the heavenly garden of Paradise but were told if they followed Allah and his will they could return at death. Those who didnt would be cast to hell.
Islamic beliefs about creation
- Muslims believe that the world is God's creation and therefore the environment should be treated with respect.
- Allah gave humans the responsibility to care for the world and everything in it.
- Humans must follow Allah's will and treat other people in a way that reflects their equality and humanity.
SHIRI'AH- means 'the straight path' this is the Islamic law that is based on the Qur'an. Muslims believe by following the Shiri'ah they are living life the way Allah wants them to.
UMMAH- is the Muslim community, all Muslim's are equal. All Muslims learn Arabic as it is their common language. The whole of the Ummah is united.
Muslim teaching on the treatment of creation
- The world does not belong to poeple it belongs to Allah. People have the role of KALIFAH. (stewardship)
- Their is a pattern and balance in the world, the FITRAH, which humans should help to maintain.
- On the day of judgement they will be called to account for how well they've done this and will be questioned about their care-taking role.
- In looking after the environment Muslims should ensure that careful use is made of scarce resourses such as water. It shouldn't be wasted.
- Trees should be replanted where others have been cut down
- People should consume less e.g saving fuel and recyling.
Treatment of animals in Islam
- Islam teaches that mercy and compassion should be treated towards every living creature because Allah loves everything he's made.
- Cruelty to animals is absolutely forbidden.
- Beasts if burden should never carry loads that are too heavy.
- Animal sports e.g fighting and hunting, are forbidden.
- People may only take the life of animal if it is for food or for another useful purpose.
- Muslims don't agree with cosmetics testing on animals
- Muslims might accept medical testing if there was no alternative to using animals.
- Muslims don't eat any sort of meat unless it has been killed in the quickest and most painless manner with a prayer in the name of Allah- HALAL SLAUGHTER. ......
Treatment of Animals in Islam
- Every Muslim man should know the correct way to kill an animal (the animal's throat should be cut with a sharp knife)
- People should only eat meat if they know how it has been killed.
- People whp mistreat animals will be anserable to their actions on judgement day.
- Muslims belive that humans have a soul that lives on after death. The soul will be asked questions by two angels : "Who is your Lord?", What is your religion?", "Who is that man sent among you?"