RESPIRATION is the process by which the chemical energy in the food (glucose) is converted into heat energy.
takes place in every single cell in the body.
all cells need energy.
- gives out 2000 kJ of energy
- with oxygen
- glucose + oxygen = energy + carbon dioxide + water
- C6H12O6 + 6O2 = energy + 6CO2 + 6H2O
ANAEROBIC RESPIRATION (in humans)
- absense of oxygen
- in low oxygen conditions, or exercise: when not enough oxygen is supplied, muscles swap to anaerobic.
- glucose = lactic acid + energy (200 kJ)
learn this stuff
lactic acid = poisonous
- causes muscle fatigue.
- because of the O2 taken in when panting, the lactic acid breaks down completely.
ANAEROBIC RESPIRATION IN YEAST
- in low oxygen conditions e.g muddy, flooded soils
- glucose = ethanol + carbon dioxide + energy
-this process is known as fermentation
*preperation of alcoholic drink (ethanol)
*bread dough production (CO2 bubbles which cause dough to rise. alcohol evaporates during baking)
LAST CARD :]
anaerobic: - without oxygen aerobic: - with oxygen
- gives out lactic acid - gives out carbon dioxide + water
- small amount of energy given - lots of energy given
- occurs in human muscle cells - occurs in plants + animal cells
1. both release energy
2. both take place in a cell
3. both start with the breakdown of a nutrient
4. both have byproduct