Christian Beliefs in God
- Christians only believe in one God- they are monotheists.
- They believe He is holy. (often referred to as Holy in prayers e.g. Holy, Holy, Holy Lord).
- He is the same God thats Jews believe in.
Christians believe God is three parts: the Father, Son (Jesus) and Holy Spirit.
The the Nicene Creed:
- "We believe in the Father the Almighty, maker of Heaven and Earth..."
- "We believe in the Lord Jesus Christ, the only son of God..."
- "We beleive in the Hoy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life..."
Christians believe God is...
- Omnipotent: all powerful and the creator
- Omniscient: all knowing
- Eternal: outside and beyond space and time. He cannot be limited
- Omnibenevolent: all loving and kind
- The Judge: He decides when we die and where we will go on the day of judgement (Heaven or Hell)
Arguements that God exists
- Millions of people believe in God and have believed in Gods for millions of years, why would they if there weren't Gods?
- The Bible could be said to be evidence because it documents God.
- St Thomas Aquinas
- The ides that there must be a first cause, God is this cause
- Something can not just come from nothing
- William Paley
- A watch is complicated with all its cogs and wheels, could not happen by chance
- The universe is too complicated and intelligently design to happen by chance, God is the designer.
Arguements that God Exists
Religous Experiences: when someone believes they have come in to contact with God.
- Numinous Experience: recognising and feeling the presence of something greater than yourself
- Conversion Experience: having your life changed and now devoted to God.
Miracles: something that breaks the law of science with God as the only explanation
- Lourdes: Mary appeared to Bernadette in 1858, people are now often healed of their illnesses when they visit and doctors can not find an explanation
Christians believe there is no other explanation for these experiences other than God