- The Birling familiy are enjoying an evening meal celebrating the engagement of Sheila to Gerald - atmosphere is happy and light-hearted
- Just as everything seems to be going so well, an Insepctor arrives to investigate the suicide of a young girl named Eva Smith
- Mr Birling reaveals that he sacked Eva Smith. He doesn't see that he has any responsibilty towards her death.
- Sheila also reveals she had Eva Smith fired from her job at Milwards. Sheila feels hugely guilty and thinks she is responsible for the girls death
- The Inspector then says that the girl chamged her name to Daisy Renton and Geralds reaction tells us her knew her too.
1 of 3
- Gerald admits that he kept Daisy as his mistress but eventually ended the affair
- Mrs Birling tells them that she denied help to a pregnant girl (Eva Smith/ Daidsy Renton) who asked her for help because she was pregnant and had no money.
- Eric enters just when we realise he is the father of the child
2 of 3
- Eric explains his relationship with the girl and that he stole money from his father to help her
- The Inspector leaves
- The family gradually realises that the inspector could have been a fraud as Gerald finds out that there is no inspector Google on the police force.
- They telephone the infirmary and its confirmed they haven't had a suicide for months
- Mr and Mrs Birling are delighted but Eric and Sheila still feel responsible
- Then a phone call announces that an Inspector is on his way to investigate the suicide of a young girl
3 of 3