- Unpaid other than expenses, so large annual saving.
- They have local knowledge and understanding.
- Easier to use as there is a lack of availability of judges.
- Cross representative of society- variety of races/social backgrounds.
- Public confidence in magistrates scheme.
- Example of active citizenship within the criminal justice system.
- Capable of dealing with issues that arise.
1 of 2
- Inconsistency between local areas and lay magistrates.
- Rely heavily on Legal Adviser.
- Cases may be biased towards police.
- Not truly representative, most white middle class.
- 5% under 4
2 of 2