Definition: the removal of a foetus from the womb before it can survive.
When a pregnancy is ended by surgical or medical means.
When does life begin?
- When the egg is implanted into the womb?
- When the foetus is developing?
- When the foetus is living independantly?
UK Abortion Laws
1967 Abortion Act
Human Fertilisation and Embryology Act of 1990
- Abortion must be agreed by two doctors
Abortion is allowed up to 24 weeks if:-
- there is a physical or mental risk to the woman's health
- any existing children would suffer or be at risk
- the child born would be severly disabled
Abortion is allowed after 24 weeks if:-
- there is risk to the mother's life
- the baby will be severely deformed
- there would be risk of serious physical or mental injury to the woman
For and Against Abortion
- Women should have the right to choose - it is their body
- In cases of ****, abortion should be allowed
- It is kinder to allow abortion if the child will be severely disabled
- Babies have the right to be loved, and the woman cannot always provide this
- Life begins at conception
- An embryo has the potential to be a human and should have the right to life
- Even disabled children have the right to life
- Adoption is an alternative