First 275 words of the document:
SINGLETONS, SAMESEX AND RECONSTITUTED FAMILIES
A singleton is some who lives by themselves About three in 10 households contain one
person & Singletons are growing for a number of reasons
1)Most people in the 20's & 30's live by themselves because they can afford to & there is
less stigma about it women are now able to pursue careers and do not face as much
pressure to marry so people tend to marry later
2) More men in 40's & 50's live by themselves because of divorce divorced women
normally gain custody of children so men left by themselves
3) Increasing number of women who live by themselves because death of their husbands
women live longer than men.
SAME SEX FAMILIES
Has increased in recent years the civil partnership act 2004 which came into force on 5th
of December 2005 meant that gay couple got the same legal recognition of their relationships
which gave them equal treatment to married couples
WHY HAVE SAME SEX FMAILIES INCREASED?
1) INCREASED SOCIAL ACCEPTANCE homosexuality was legalised in the UK in
1967 and the age of consent has gone down from 21 to 18 and is now at 16, the
same as heterosexuals homosexuality is far more acceptable now
2) SECULARISATION Most religions condemn homosexuality but there are now less
religious people in the UK meaning they can accept homosexuality
3) REPRODUCTIVE TECHNOLOGIES IVF & Surrogacy allows gays couples to have
This is a growing family form because of increase of divorce since 1970's about 10% of
all children live in a stepfamily.