Slides in this set
· The story is set in California in the 1930's
during the Great Depression and it main
characters are two wandering farm
workers called George and Lennie.
· George is small, quick and intelligent.
· By contrast Lennie is slow and simple-
· They travel around together in search of
They have a dream of a place of their own
a small ranch where they can live and
work on their own.
· They are on the run from the town of
Weed where Lennie caused trouble by
innocently fondling a girls dress.
· They arrive at a ranch in Soledad where
they meet Candy, an old, crippled worker.
· Curley is the son of the boss and is
aggressive and threatening man who is
always searching for his wife.…read more
George decides they will stay on the ranch
because they need the work and money.
· Lennie tells the black, harshly treat stable
buck, Crooks about their dream farm and
he too expresses a wish to be involved.
· Curley's wife meets Lennie in the barn
when she finds out he has accidentally
killed the puppy.
· She invites him to stoke her hair but
becomes upset by his roughness.…read more
Unnerved by her screaming Lennie tries to
quieten her, accidentally breaking her
neck and killing her.
· He runs away and the other ranch-hands
set out in pursuit, but George knowing
where to find him, forces himself to kill
About the author
· Much of Of Mice and Men is based upon
Steinbeck's life and experiences.
· In the years after he failed at University he had
many casual jobs, varying from newspaper work
to ranch work.
· In the novel Steinbeck highlights many of the
problems of which he experienced at first hand.
· The great financial collapse of 1929 increased
unemployment and poverty throughout the
United States.…read more