Slides in this set
Cracking of Crude Oil
· Crude oil is useless as fuel as the chemicals in it
are very thick (viscous).
· The molecules (carbon chains) are very long and
they get tangled. Long carbon chains are broken
into smaller pieces in a process called Cracking.
· Smaller chains are made which are good as
· Ethene (an unsaturated alkEne) is also produced
which is good for plastics.
· .Remember how it done in the lab.…read more
Alkenes - homologous series
· Alkenes differ only in the number of CH2 groups.
· This leads to a homologous series with the
general formula Cn H2n
n= 1 n=2 n=3 n=4
none = = =
· Displayed formula for propene (prop.. means 3
carbons) and butene (but.. means 4 C's) are
· Draw a displayed structure for pentene.
H H H H H H
H H C
C H C H C H
C C H H C H H C H
C C H C C H
H H H H H H…read more