- Wall Street Crash
- When the Wall Street stock market crashed in October 1929, the world economy was plunged into the Great Depression.
- By the winter of 1932, America was in the depths of the greatest economic depression in its history.
- The number of unemployed people reached upwards of 13 million.
- In St Louis, more than 1,000 people lived in shacks made from scrap metal and boxes.
- By the time of the election in November 1932, Hoover's popularity had reached rock bottom.
- In 1928 the new Republican president Herbert Hoover confidently stated, 'We in America today are nearer to the final triumph over poverty than ever before in the history of any land.' Within a year, all the confidence had ended and America was plunged into the Depression.
- Black Tuesday happened on Tuesday, 29 October 1929, when 16.5 million shares were sold
- The value of all shares had dropped by $40,000 million by the end of 1929.