- Social Class
- In the 1970's politics was dominated by social allegiance. Butler and Stokes stated that the two major parties reflected class divide.
- In the 1970s there was a decline in working cl\ass communities and new industries emerged that had no allegiance to class.
- Old class based politics is now in decline and parties must focus on new movements such as feminism and environmentalism.
- John Major said that Britain had become a classless society and Adonis said that there was an increase in meritocracy despite background.
- The nature of the workforce has changed fundamentally over the years and there are now far more middle class professionals than working class labourers.
- However class divisions do still exist as the ECP report 2003 said those from unskilled backgrounds are five times less likely to recieve higher education
- Inequality actually grew under new labour and wealth inequalities suggest there is still a social class structure in the UK