- Created by: Former Member
- Created on: 22-09-15 09:17
- James I
- Key Terms
- Patronage – You have a protector a noble would be a source of protection. Nobles could control areas of the country.
- Faction - You are a part of Nobles area and he was a source of power.
- Franchise – Religious belief and is very extreme.
- Prerogative – The rule of the king through his prerogative.
- Subsidy - Payment of money went to Parliament and was granted money.
- Absolutism – When a monarch is completely in control of the country.
- Monopoly – To have control over something e.g. the trade of cotton to the Netherlands. The King can grant the right to this. However to be granted this you must pay the king. You could be the only person in England to sell this.
- Puritanism – Religious belief is very extreme.
- Effects on the increase of population on
- •Improved the defence of the country would be beneficial during Anglo Dutch wars.
- •Overcrowding in cities and villages would lead to the country becoming poorer.
- •More poverty
- •Less farms because need space to build homes. Less farms means less food for the new increase of population.
- •King would lose money as he would have to use the money to pay for the poor to eat.
- •Unruly charging of land, Nobles could charge whatever they liked for land as it was in high demand as there was restrictions and limited space.
- •Higher child mortality rate.
- •However the production of food increased which gave more people jobs to survive.
- •People blamed God for the famine. People believed that people were cursing each other for crops to fail and animals die. This led to the Witch Craze. All because of poverty.
- •This led to enclosed areas to farm less area for the animals to graze, so quality of meat declined.
- •A start of one of many famines
- Key Terms
Similar History resources: