- EFFECTS OF THE DEPRESSION
- The dust bowl - in 1931 a drought hit making the soil in the countryside dry out. This made most farmers lose their crops and therefore money.Wind storms (Black Blizzards) blew away the soil and made farmers permantly lose their crops increasing poverty
- Hoovervilles - because of unemployment people couldn't afford to pay for their mortgages and therefore meant some where evicted- this led to the hoovervilles (shanty towns that were blammed on Hoover).
- Marriges were delayed + Birth rate fell
- Little help by the goveremnt until 1932 meant that the homeless had to rely on charities. Soup kitchens became popular but as there were so many homeless , they were hard to maintain.
- National income fell $80 billion - 1929 to $40 billion - 1933
- 20,00 business folded in 1932
- Migrant workers - People who travelled across America in order to find work
- Family breakdown - Becuase people couldnt find work and therefore money, many families began to breakdown.