- Criminal Damage Act 1971
- Actus Reus: 'This consists of destroying or damaging property belonging to another'
- 'Belonging to another'- this offence cannot be committed if you damage your own property
- Smith-conviction quashed because the offence cannot be committed if they generally believe the property belongs to them
- Definition s1(1): 'A person without lawful excuse destroys or damages property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage .
- Mens Rea-'if a person unlawfully damages property belonging to another, either intentionally or recklessly