- 7.6- How the chemical elements formed
- chemical elemnts are formed through the fusion process in stars.
- the nuclei of lighter elemts fuse together to form the nuclei of heavier elements.
- this process releases large amounts of energy
- Elements heavier than iron are only formed in the final stages of the life of a big star
- this is because the process requires the imput of energy. All the elements get distributed through space by the supernova explosion
- The presence of heavier elements in the Sun and iner planets is evidence that they were formed from debris scattered by a supernova.