1. In the Strait of Gibraltar there is also a deep flow of water out of the Mediterranean into the Atlantic. If the surface inflow is 4 Sverdrups and salinity 30, and the bottom outflow is 3 Sverdrups, what must be its salinity to maintain a salt balanc
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why is there an inflow of surface water through the Strait of Gibraltar to the Mediterranean Sea?
- It replaces water lost from the Med by evaporation
- It is driven by the prevailing westerly winds
- It replaces water lost from the Med through the Suez canal
- It replaces water lost by the Med through a small crack in the sea floor
3. The energy in ocean waves depends on the wave height. Which of the following statements is true?
- The energy depends on the square root of the wave height
- The energy depends on the logarithm of the wave height
- The energy depends on the square of the wave height
- The energy is proportional to the wave height
4. Which way would you expect air to circulate in a region of low pressure in the northern hemisphere?
- Towards the centre
5. In deep water, waves with long period go faster. What name do we give to this effect?