1. In deep water, waves with long period go faster. What name do we give to this effect?
1 of 15
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is the volume of an iceberg weighing 2 tonnes (2000kg) and with a density of 920 kg/m3 ?
- 2 m3
3. In waves in deep water, the water particles beneath the waves travel in circles as the wave goes past. For a particle at the surface, at what speed will it move round the circle if the wave height is 2 metres and the wave period is 10 seconds?
- 63 centimetres per second
- 1 metre per second
- 0.1 metre per second
- 63 metres per second
4. In the Strait of Gibraltar there is also a deep flow of water out of the Mediterranean into the Atlantic. If the surface inflow is 4 Sverdrups and salinity 30, and the bottom outflow is 3 Sverdrups, what must be its salinity to maintain a salt balanc
5. The energy in ocean waves depends on the wave height. Which of the following statements is true?
- The energy depends on the logarithm of the wave height
- The energy depends on the square of the wave height
- The energy depends on the square root of the wave height
- The energy is proportional to the wave height