1. What is an advantage of using Ultrasound waves instead of X-rays for medical scanning?
- Ultrasound waves can be used to treat cancerous cells.
- Ultrasound waves produce better images than X-rays.
- Ultrasound waves are non-ionising and therefore harmless when used for scanning.
- Ultrasound scanners are cheaper to use than X-ray machines.
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What, other than medical uses, do Ultrasound waves have?
- Detecting metal under the sand (metal detectors).
- Detecting oil on the sea bed.
- Detecting fish in the sea.
- Cleaning glass.
3. What frequency range of sound waves can the human ear hear?
- 50Hz to 50 000Hz
- 10Hz to 10 000Hz
- 20Hz to 20 000Hz
- 5Hz to 5 000Hz
4. Why are Ultrasound waves not useful for examining lungs?
- Because the Ultrasound waves are not strong enough to produce an image of the lungs.
- Because they do not travel in air.
- Because the lungs are constantly contracting due to the patient breathing.
- Because the lungs are surrounded by the ribs which reflects the Ultrasound waves.
5. Why do Ultrasound scans reacquire gel?
- To ensure that the ultrasound waves can tell the difference between the air and the patient.
- To ensure that there is no air between the ultrasound transducer and the patients skin.
- To attract the ultrasound waves back to the transducer to create an image on the screen.
- To ensure that the ultrasound transducer glides smoothly over the patients skin.
Similar Physics resources: