1. What is an advantage of using Ultrasound waves instead of X-rays for medical scanning?
- Ultrasound waves are non-ionising and therefore harmless when used for scanning.
- Ultrasound waves produce better images than X-rays.
- Ultrasound scanners are cheaper to use than X-ray machines.
- Ultrasound waves can be used to treat cancerous cells.
1 of 8
Other questions in this quiz
2. What can Ultrasound therapy be used for?
- Can move kidney stones out of the kidneys without them moving naturally.
- To ionise cells.
- To break painful kidney stones into little bits so the fragments are small enough to leave the kidneys naturally.
- To treat cancerous cells.
3. Why do Ultrasound scans reacquire gel?
- To attract the ultrasound waves back to the transducer to create an image on the screen.
- To ensure that there is no air between the ultrasound transducer and the patients skin.
- To ensure that the ultrasound transducer glides smoothly over the patients skin.
- To ensure that the ultrasound waves can tell the difference between the air and the patient.
4. What are Ultrasound waves used for?
- Prenatal scans of a baby in the womb.
- To detect cancerous cells.
- To detect broken bones.
- To treat illness.
5. What, other than medical uses, do Ultrasound waves have?
- Detecting metal under the sand (metal detectors).
- Cleaning glass.
- Detecting oil on the sea bed.
- Detecting fish in the sea.
Similar Physics resources: