1. To allow animals to grow larger they need what?
- A range of tissues & structural support to give the body strength
- Bones and Ligaments
- A large amount of cells to duplicate via mitosis
- A range of systems in the body which support the growth
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Diffusion alone cannot support larger organisms because...
- the cells lose mitochondria which produce energy fo diffusion
- they have a smaller surface-area-to-volume ratio so the surface area is not large enough to allow enough nutrients to diffuse into the organism
- The pores across which substances diffuse become blocked by new cells from mitosis
3. Animals that do which 2 things need more energy?
- Animals which have a fast metabolism and which sleep a lot
- Animals which keep themselves warm and which are very active
- Animals which regulate their body temperature and have a fast metabolism
4. When animals grow larger...
- their surface area increases
- their cells grow larger
- their volume increases but not their surface area
- their surface area and volume increases
5. Large surface-area-to-volume ratio limits what in organisms?
- Heat loss
Similar Biology resources: