1. Which of these metal toxication statement is correct?
- Mercury can be treated through Dialysis
- Cadmium has (cumulative phenomenon) and accumalates in kidney and liver irreversible replacing Zn
- Mercury is an Irreversible inhibtor cathelochomines. Enzymes dependant on selenium
- Ba- can lead to hear failure. BaSO4 used in xrays
- Cu causes inherited defect in ceruloplasmin synthesis. Results in poor Fe2+ absorption(radicals can then form fenton)
- Be blocks enzymes that utilise Mg2+ and can damage skin/lungs
- Cu accumalates in brain, liver, kidney. Cirrohosis, loss of coordination, mental disorders.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these statements is incorrect about alcohol intoxication?
- Ethyleneglycol - which is used for antifreezing/sweet taste.
- Methanol causes metabolic acidosis and brain damage
- Glycolic acid causes causes renal failure and oxalic acid metabolic acidosis
- 90% of ethanol is oxidised in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase
3. Which of these non metals is showing the wrong info?
- Nitrogen forms NO2- forms nitrosamines, causes oxidation of iron in heamoglobin, carcinoginc. Formation inhited by vit C and E
- sulphur forms hydroxyl radical which causes cough/tears. caused industrial pollution
- Carbon which forms CO,HCN, KCN inhibits the ctochrome oxidase by binding to FE2+
- Sulphur forms H2S blocks enzymes containing heavy metal ion,
4. Toxic metals has many molecular mechanisms that are harmful which these is not a mechanism?
- Influencing metabolic routes and allowing multiplication of toxic radicals
- Allowing an essential metal ion bind to a protien
- Changing the structure and function of membranes, increasing the toxicity of xenobiotics
- By changing the cytoskeleton structure or effecting enzyme activity
5. Which metal ion does EDTA tend to form a ligand with?
- Cu2+, Hg2+
- Ca2+, Pb2+
- Fe3+, Al3+