1. Which of these statements is incorrect about alcohol intoxication?
- Ethyleneglycol - which is used for antifreezing/sweet taste.
- Methanol causes metabolic acidosis and brain damage
- Glycolic acid causes causes renal failure and oxalic acid metabolic acidosis
- 90% of ethanol is oxidised in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these metal toxication statement is correct?
- Mercury is an Irreversible inhibtor cathelochomines. Enzymes dependant on selenium
- Mercury can be treated through Dialysis
- Cu accumalates in brain, liver, kidney. Cirrohosis, loss of coordination, mental disorders.
- Cadmium has (cumulative phenomenon) and accumalates in kidney and liver irreversible replacing Zn
- Ba- can lead to hear failure. BaSO4 used in xrays
- Cu causes inherited defect in ceruloplasmin synthesis. Results in poor Fe2+ absorption(radicals can then form fenton)
- Be blocks enzymes that utilise Mg2+ and can damage skin/lungs
3. Which metal ion does EDTA tend to form a ligand with?
- Cu2+, Hg2+
- Ca2+, Pb2+
- Fe3+, Al3+
4. Which of these is incorrect about Lead?
- Pathophysiology: strong interaction with SH groups, replacing other transition metals, decrease in red blood cells viability
- treatment: removing chelating agents by adding antagnoists eg.ZN, Fe, Ca
- Sources:Food, tap water from pb pipes, feul
- Symptoms: abdominal pain, nausea, motor nerve dysfunction
5. Which of these elements are essential elements?
- Cu, I, Fe
- Se, Cr, Mn
- Molybdenum, Iodinine, Lithum