1. Which of these statements is incorrect about alcohol intoxication?
- Glycolic acid causes causes renal failure and oxalic acid metabolic acidosis
- Methanol causes metabolic acidosis and brain damage
- 90% of ethanol is oxidised in the liver by alcohol dehydrogenase
- Ethyleneglycol - which is used for antifreezing/sweet taste.
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which of these elements resemble K+?
- Se (and essential element) causes blocking of dehydrogenases
- Mn (EE) increased excitability of CNS
- Ti - degeneration of all cell types, including neuronal damage
- As (AsH3 or As2O3) binds to S-H in enzymes
3. Which of these non metals is showing the wrong info?
- Sulphur forms H2S blocks enzymes containing heavy metal ion,
- Carbon which forms CO,HCN, KCN inhibits the ctochrome oxidase by binding to FE2+
- sulphur forms hydroxyl radical which causes cough/tears. caused industrial pollution
- Nitrogen forms NO2- forms nitrosamines, causes oxidation of iron in heamoglobin, carcinoginc. Formation inhited by vit C and E
4. Which of these is the elimination of the products from the body?
- Sweat, air
- Urine, Bile
- Diet, air
5. Which of these is incorrect about Lead?
- treatment: removing chelating agents by adding antagnoists eg.ZN, Fe, Ca
- Symptoms: abdominal pain, nausea, motor nerve dysfunction
- Sources:Food, tap water from pb pipes, feul
- Pathophysiology: strong interaction with SH groups, replacing other transition metals, decrease in red blood cells viability