1. What does Mg form on reaction with steam?
- MgOH + H2
- MgO (s) + H2 (g)
- It doesn't react as it is the least reactive of the group.
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why is Mg (carbonate and nitrate) the least thermally stable of the G2 elements ?
- Magnesium has the largest nuclear charge so can most easily pull apart the electron cloud
- Magnesium isn't the least thermally stable, Barium is.
- Magnesium has the smallest ionic radius as a 2+ cation so a greater polarising ability (more charge dense)
- Magnesium forms radioactive carbonates and nitrates that are unstable and break down
3. What is disproportionation?
- When one atom both gains and looses electrons in a reaction
- The action of a powerful reducing agent
- When one element undergoes both reduction and oxidation in a reaction at the same time
- A property of halides which decreases in ability down the group
4. Caesium's flame colour is __(a)___ , Rubidium's is __(b)__ and Magnesium's is __(c)__
- (a)Red (b) Yellow (c) Green
- (a) Blue/Violet (b) Red/Purple (c) No colour
- (a)Orange (b) Brick Red (c) White
- (a) Apple green (b) Lilac (c) No colour
5. It forms a cream precipitate with silver nitrate solution; it's insoluble in aqueous ammonia but dissolves in concentrated ammonia. It is...