- Created by: Luke Simons
- Created on: 06-04-12 19:17
1. Newton's model of the universe made four assumptions which were that the universe is...?
- Continually expanding, Finite age, of a finite size and of a finite energy
- Infinitely large, Infinitely old, Static and created by god
- Infinitely large, Infinitely old, Static and Uniform
- Infinitely massive, finitely old, of degenerate energy and uniform
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Olbers' Paradox disproved Newton's model by claiming that in such a universe...?
- In order for the universe to be perpetually static, matter could not have momentum, this is not observed
- In such a static universe, light from other stars would not be shifted by the Doppler effect
- Due to the absorption and re-emission of electromagnetic radiation, the intensity of light incident on earth would also be infinite
- The gravitational force felt by all matter would be infinite, causing all matter to vaporize into nucleons
3. The different extent of red shifts of distant galaxies implies that the universe is...?
- Decreasing in Entropy
4. The reason galaxies move apart is because of...?
- Their relatively different velocities
- The expansion of space between them
- Their relatively different speeds
- The force of the big bang which caused the galaxies to move away at a velocity related to their size.
5. The relationship between a galaxies distance (Mpc) from earth and it's recessional velocity (km/s)...?
- Directly proportional
- Inversely proportional
- Non-linearly related
- Linearly related
Similar Physics resources: