1. How did the army improve because of the growth in the number of emigres?
- There was less conflict between monarchist and republicans within the army
- The Extremist generals left the army meaning fewer soldiers were intimidated by military radicalism
- Officers left France allowing rapid promotion of talented men to leading positions
- There was a significant growth in men joining the army to defend France from foreign armies
1 of 10
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did the rich members of the bourgeoisie leave France?
- They feared for their lives and property
- They feared they would be excluded from the Constitution
- They feared a coup d'etat by the Jacobins
- They knew that the middle classes didn't have to pay tax in Austria and Prussia
3. Which important figure was among the first emigres to leave France in 1789?
- The Comte d'Artois (the King's Brother)
- Marie Antoinette (the King's wife)
- Leopold (the Austrian Emperor)
- The Abbe Sieyes
4. What did many emigres join or support?
- The Counter-Revolution
- The Constitutional Movement
- The Republican Movement
- The Feuillants
5. Why did Noblemen leave France?
- The Duke of Orleans had encouraged nobility to leave in a popular journal
- They were being targeted by Jacobin supporters in Southern France and Paris
- They had lost their privileges and felt unsafe
- They wanted to join a absolute monarchy elsewhere in Europe
Similar History resources: