1. What are the strengths of the biological model?
- It has a strong scientific basis, it can be seen as ethical as it doesn't blame people for their disorders and biological therapies have helped relieve conditions that were hard to treat previously
- Biological therapies raise ethical concerns for example, drugs can produce addiction and only supress the symptoms also psychological therapies can be just as effective and psychological disorders may not all be linked to physical causes
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is meant by the biological therapy: ECT
- Brain surgery involving destruction or seperation of parts of the brain for example the frontol lobotomy which helps to reduce aggresion
- Electro-Convulsive Therapy in which an electric shock is administered to the brain, it can help to relieve depression
- Drugs can be used to change neurotransmitter levels in the brain for example, phenothiazines reduce levels of Dopamine and thus relieve the symptoms of Schizophrenia
3. According to the biological model, what are the main 4 possible causes of psychological disorder?
- genetics, synapses, infections and brain injury
- genetics, neurotransmitters, infection and brain injury
- genetics, neurotransmitters, infection and brain scans
4. What is meant by infection being the cause of psychological disorders?
- Too much or too little of a particular neurotransmitter may produce psychological disorders such as an increased level of dopamine being linked to Schizophrenia
- Disorders are caused by infection such as General Paresis, a condition involving delusion and moodswing which result in death. It is caused by Syphilis
- Accidental brain injury may caused psychological disorders such as in the case of Phinaes Gage
5. Which piece of research supportd Gottesman's study?
- Palmer's study into adoption
- Heston's study into adoption
- Heaton's study into adoption