1. Which piece of research supportd Gottesman's study?
- Palmer's study into adoption
- Heston's study into adoption
- Heaton's study into adoption
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is meant by the biological therapy: drugs?
- Brain surgery involving destruction or seperation of parts of the brain for example the frontol lobotomy which helps to reduce aggresion
- Drugs can be used to change neurotransmitter levels in the brain for example, phenothiazines reduce levels of Dopamine and thus relieve the symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Electro-Convulsive Therapy in which an electric shock is administered to the brain, it can help to relieve depression
3. What is meant by brain injury being the cause of psychological disorders?
- Accidental brain injury may caused psychological disorders such as in the case of Phinaes Gage
- Faulty genes are known to cause some diseases that have psychological effects such as Huntington's disease
- Too much or too little of a particular neurotransmitter may produce psychological disorders such as an increased level of dopamine being linked to Schizophrenia
4. What are the strengths of the biological model?
- It has a strong scientific basis, it can be seen as ethical as it doesn't blame people for their disorders and biological therapies have helped relieve conditions that were hard to treat previously
- Biological therapies raise ethical concerns for example, drugs can produce addiction and only supress the symptoms also psychological therapies can be just as effective and psychological disorders may not all be linked to physical causes
5. What has much of the research surronding the biological model been done on?
- Sets of twins to attempt to establish a genetic basis for Schizophrenia
- Sets of friends to establish a genetic basis for Schizophrenia