1. Who conducted a meta-analysis of 40 twin studies?
1 of 18
Other questions in this quiz
2. What is meant by the biological therapy: drugs?
- Drugs can be used to change neurotransmitter levels in the brain for example, phenothiazines reduce levels of Dopamine and thus relieve the symptoms of Schizophrenia
- Electro-Convulsive Therapy in which an electric shock is administered to the brain, it can help to relieve depression
- Brain surgery involving destruction or seperation of parts of the brain for example the frontol lobotomy which helps to reduce aggresion
3. What did Heston find out?
- 5/47 of the children whose biological mothers had Schizophrenia developed the disease as opposed to 0/45 in the control group
- Having an identical twin with Schizophrenia gave you a 48% chance of getting the disease, this reduced to 17% in non-identical twins
4. What has much of the research surronding the biological model been done on?
- Sets of twins to attempt to establish a genetic basis for Schizophrenia
- Sets of friends to establish a genetic basis for Schizophrenia
5. What is meant by brain injury being the cause of psychological disorders?
- Too much or too little of a particular neurotransmitter may produce psychological disorders such as an increased level of dopamine being linked to Schizophrenia
- Accidental brain injury may caused psychological disorders such as in the case of Phinaes Gage
- Faulty genes are known to cause some diseases that have psychological effects such as Huntington's disease