1. Why did Pope Eugenius call 2nd Crusade?
- Quantum Praedecessores emphasised the family traditions of crusading
- Tatikios withdrew February 1098, June 1098 – Alexios withdrew!
- Alexios makes leading lords swear oath of loyalty to him
- “Stand fast together, trusting in Christ and the victory of the Holy Cross” was their motto
1 of 5
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why was Byzantium hostile to crusaders
- Bohemond becomes ruler of Antioch, not Alexios
- Pope Urban described Jerusalem as “the land of milk and honey”
- Reform movement, areas in France Pope Urban visited
- Crusaders younger sons who wouldn’t inherit family land went
3. How important was lack of clear aims? Examples
- Got tricked by the Muslims – greedy, mostly died
- Antioch,June 1148,Council of Palmarea,decided it would be better to attack Damascus
- discovery of the Holy lance by Peter Bartholomew raised morale
- Byzantine government representative, provided guides until Antioch.
4. How far was failure the responsibility of Franks of outremer? Examples
- Ever since death of prophet Muhammad, there was a split in the religion
- Siege of Jerusalem: Godfrey of Bouillon succeeded in dismantling
- When the Crusaders attacked Damascus in July 1149, it was Nur ad Din the people turned to for help.
- Close co-operation between Greeks and crusaders during siege of Nicaea.
5. Why was Edessa captured 1144?
- Count Hugh of Vermandois–brother of King Phillip of France.
- Bishop Adhemar Le Puy–close friend+keen supporter of pope.
- County of Edessa so isolated and northerly.With least amount of population living in it.Relief dispatch took about 4 weeks to get there
- Count Steven of Blois–wife Adela deeply religious.She made him go.