1. How far was desire for wealth, examples?
- Prince Bohemund of Toronto–Father invaded Byzantine Empire 1080s.Expected to gain Balkans
- Bishop Adhemar Le Puy–close friend+keen supporter of pope.Representative of Pope on Crusade
- Count Steven of Blois–wife Adela deeply religious.She made him go.
- Count Hugh of Vermandois–brother of King Phillip of France.King had a dispute with Pope (Urban II) over adultery. Win back people’s favour
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Explain why people's crusade failed?
- Peter Hermit – not strong leader – lead 15 000 followers
- Alexios makes leading lords swear oath of loyalty to him
- “Stand fast together, trusting in Christ and the victory of the Holy Cross” was their motto
- Tatikios withdrew February 1098, June 1098 – Alexios withdrew!
3. Why were castles used as defence in crusader states?
- Opposing ideals and interests from east and west, gradual weakening of authority
- Anxious to expand interests in the East,Agreements with King of Jerusalem to bring supplies
- strategically placed to contain attacks,Acted as centre of administration and military base
- Bernard of Clairvaux wrote a rule for them (way of life) and papal approval
4. Why were military orders used as defence in crusader states?
- Hospitallers:Military order of fighting monks – medical function
- In Kingdom of Jerusalem.Near Ascalon – controlled by Fatamids –
- Formed colonies within cities.Loyalties were to own cities
- Melisende marries Fulk of Anjou, who clashes with nobles
5. How important was muslim disunity to success of 1st crusade? Examples
- power vacuum in Seljuk Turk dynasty:“year of deaths of commanders and caliphs”.
- Tatikios, Byzantine government representative, provided guides until Antioch.
- The discovery of the Holy lance by Peter Bartholomew raised morale at crucial point.
- Got tricked by the Muslims – greedy, mostly died