1. How far was desire for wealth, examples?
- Count Steven of Blois–wife Adela deeply religious.She made him go.
- Count Hugh of Vermandois–brother of King Phillip of France.King had a dispute with Pope (Urban II) over adultery. Win back people’s favour
- Prince Bohemund of Toronto–Father invaded Byzantine Empire 1080s.Expected to gain Balkans
- Bishop Adhemar Le Puy–close friend+keen supporter of pope.Representative of Pope on Crusade
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why were military orders used as defence in crusader states?
- Hospitallers:Military order of fighting monks – medical function
- In Kingdom of Jerusalem.Near Ascalon – controlled by Fatamids –
- Formed colonies within cities.Loyalties were to own cities
- Melisende marries Fulk of Anjou, who clashes with nobles
3. How important was spiritual motivation for participants? Examples
- Siege of Jerusalem: Godfrey of Bouillon succeeded in dismantling siege tower under cover of darkness and reassembling it at a less well-defended section of the city wall, enabling crusaders to breach city’s defences.
- Close co-operation between Greeks and crusaders during siege of Nicaea.
- motto helped them hold out for 6 hours before they won battle against Kerbogha
- Ever since death of prophet Muhammad, there was a split in the religion
4. Explain why people's crusade failed?
- Peter Hermit – not strong leader – lead 15 000 followers
- Tatikios withdrew February 1098, June 1098 – Alexios withdrew!
- Alexios makes leading lords swear oath of loyalty to him
- “Stand fast together, trusting in Christ and the victory of the Holy Cross” was their motto
5. Why were castles used as defence in crusader states?
- Opposing ideals and interests from east and west, gradual weakening of authority
- strategically placed to contain attacks,Acted as centre of administration and military base
- Bernard of Clairvaux wrote a rule for them (way of life) and papal approval
- Anxious to expand interests in the East,Agreements with King of Jerusalem to bring supplies