1. Explain why people's crusade failed?
- Tatikios withdrew February 1098, June 1098 – Alexios withdrew!
- Alexios makes leading lords swear oath of loyalty to him
- Peter Hermit – not strong leader – lead 15 000 followers
- “Stand fast together, trusting in Christ and the victory of the Holy Cross” was their motto
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why were military orders used as defence in crusader states?
- In Kingdom of Jerusalem.Near Ascalon – controlled by Fatamids –
- Formed colonies within cities.Loyalties were to own cities
- Hospitallers:Military order of fighting monks – medical function
- Melisende marries Fulk of Anjou, who clashes with nobles
3. How far was desire for wealth, examples?
- Prince Bohemund of Toronto–Father invaded Byzantine Empire 1080s.Expected to gain Balkans
- Bishop Adhemar Le Puy–close friend+keen supporter of pope.Representative of Pope on Crusade
- Count Steven of Blois–wife Adela deeply religious.She made him go.
- Count Hugh of Vermandois–brother of King Phillip of France.King had a dispute with Pope (Urban II) over adultery. Win back people’s favour
4. How important was spiritual motivation for participants? Examples
- Siege of Jerusalem: Godfrey of Bouillon succeeded in dismantling siege tower under cover of darkness and reassembling it at a less well-defended section of the city wall, enabling crusaders to breach city’s defences.
- Close co-operation between Greeks and crusaders during siege of Nicaea.
- motto helped them hold out for 6 hours before they won battle against Kerbogha
- Ever since death of prophet Muhammad, there was a split in the religion
5. Why did the 1st crusade go to Jerusalem, main reasons?
- Crusaders younger sons who wouldn’t inherit family land went
- Pope Urban described Jerusalem as “the land of milk and honey”
- Religious Zeal,Material interests,Social motivations,Political reasons
- Reform movement, areas in France Pope Urban visited