- Created by: Laura Thompson
- Created on: 12-05-15 10:12
1. Why were military orders used as defence in crusader states?
- Melisende marries Fulk of Anjou, who clashes with nobles
- Hospitallers:Military order of fighting monks – medical function
- Formed colonies within cities.Loyalties were to own cities
- In Kingdom of Jerusalem.Near Ascalon – controlled by Fatamids –
1 of 7
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did the 1st crusade go to Jerusalem, main reasons?
- Crusaders younger sons who wouldn’t inherit family land went
- Religious Zeal,Material interests,Social motivations,Political reasons
- Reform movement, areas in France Pope Urban visited
- Pope Urban described Jerusalem as “the land of milk and honey”
3. Why were castles used as defence in crusader states?
- strategically placed to contain attacks,Acted as centre of administration and military base
- Opposing ideals and interests from east and west, gradual weakening of authority
- Anxious to expand interests in the East,Agreements with King of Jerusalem to bring supplies
- Bernard of Clairvaux wrote a rule for them (way of life) and papal approval
4. How important was spiritual motivation for participants? Examples
- Ever since death of prophet Muhammad, there was a split in the religion
- motto helped them hold out for 6 hours before they won battle against Kerbogha
- Close co-operation between Greeks and crusaders during siege of Nicaea.
- Siege of Jerusalem: Godfrey of Bouillon succeeded in dismantling siege tower under cover of darkness and reassembling it at a less well-defended section of the city wall, enabling crusaders to breach city’s defences.
5. Explain why people's crusade failed?
- “Stand fast together, trusting in Christ and the victory of the Holy Cross” was their motto
- Peter Hermit – not strong leader – lead 15 000 followers
- Alexios makes leading lords swear oath of loyalty to him
- Tatikios withdrew February 1098, June 1098 – Alexios withdrew!