1. Who discovered carbolic spray?
- William Halsted
- Robert Liston
- Joseph Lister
- Louis Pasteur
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. Why did people oppose to using chloroform?
- Doctors could no longer show off how quickly they could perform an operation
- Pain was invented by the devil and people may become even more ill if they didn't feel their pain
- Chloroform had been tested and harmful side effects had been discovered
- Hannah Greener lived through an operation with chloroform to find she grew an extra toe nail
3. Which statement is not true:
- Lister influenced surgeons to stop operating in ordinary clothes and to wear surgical gowns and face masks instead
- Lister influenced operating theatres and hospitals to be rigorously cleaned
- Lister influenced the use of sterilised rubber gloves
- Lister believed: 'success depends on attention to detail'
4. Why did surgeons oppose carbolic spray?
- They didn't like Lister
- They enjoyed taking their time and didn't want to waste time spray carbolic
- They didn't believe Lister
- They enjoyed infecting patients
5. What did Lister advice surgeons to do before surgery?
- Spray carbolic in the operating table
- Wash their hands in carbolic
- Wash their hands in warm soapy water
Similar History resources: