1. What did Harold Gillies help improve?
- Brain surgery
- Blood transfusions
- Plastic surgery
- X-ray machines
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. What was the main reason the opposition to chloroform weaken?
- James Simpson died and people felt sorry for him
- Queen Victoria used it when giving birth to her child
- People preferred not feeling pain during surgery
- Hannah Greener lived through the operation on her toe nail - proving to other surgeons chloroform did work
3. Where did the idea of using carbolic spray come from?
4. What specifically did scientists discover, to do with blood transfusions, during WW1?
- X-ray machines will help store blood so it doesn't clot
- How to store blood
- Sodium citrate would prevent blood clotting and how to separate blood to be stored
- Hydrochloric acid will increase the shelf life of blood once it has been seperated
5. Why did surgeons oppose carbolic spray?
- They didn't like Lister
- They enjoyed taking their time and didn't want to waste time spray carbolic
- They didn't believe Lister
- They enjoyed infecting patients
Similar History resources: