1. What was the main reason the opposition to chloroform weaken?
- Hannah Greener lived through the operation on her toe nail - proving to other surgeons chloroform did work
- People preferred not feeling pain during surgery
- Queen Victoria used it when giving birth to her child
- James Simpson died and people felt sorry for him
1 of 13
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which anaesthetic was the first to be discovered?
- Laughing gas
3. Who discovered carbolic spray?
- Louis Pasteur
- Joseph Lister
- Robert Liston
- William Halsted
4. Which statement is not true:
- Lister influenced the use of sterilised rubber gloves
- Lister influenced operating theatres and hospitals to be rigorously cleaned
- Lister believed: 'success depends on attention to detail'
- Lister influenced surgeons to stop operating in ordinary clothes and to wear surgical gowns and face masks instead
5. What did Harold Gillies help improve?
- X-ray machines
- Plastic surgery
- Blood transfusions
- Brain surgery
Similar History resources: