1. What is the ego?
- Develops at around the age of 18 months and is the rational part of the personality. It's designed to balance the personality.
- The primitive part of the personality, often described as the biological component of the mind, as it is the one we are born with, which works on the pleasure principle and is the demanding aspect of our personality, which always wants our desires.
- Develops at around four years of age, and derives from the morality principle and is the “can’t have” part of the personality, which is made up of two components: the conscience and the ego ideal.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. As a key assumption of the approach, what did Freud believe was the importance of the first five years?
- We have a certain amount of energy which doesn't increase or decrease.
- The most important in terms of forming a personality, and that if there are any unsolved problems at one stage, your development will be disrupted.
- Our genetics determine our gender development due to the difference between the one Y chromosome.
- The unconscious mind is the most powerful.
3. What is denial?
- When someone denies a traumatic event has occurred and acts as though nothing has happened, protecting the individual from unhappy or unacceptable thoughts.
- Keeping thoughts in the unconscious mind so that they are not remembered, as they are not allowed inside the conscious.
- When somebody deals with having unacceptable thoughts by saying that they are somebody else’s thoughts.
4. What part of the body is the focus of sexual energy in the Phallic stage?
- The ****.
- The genitals.
- The mouth.
- There isn't one.
5. At what age does the Oral stage occur?
- Occurs around the age of 4/5 years old.
- Starts at puberty.
- Lasts from birth to around 18 months.
- Lasts from 18 months to around 3 years old.