1. What is a strength of the theory of psychosexual stages?
- His theory was unique to the individual and their life.
- The concepts are measurable and therefore are scientific.
- Freud provided some new treatments to patients with mental health problems, which were otherwise unavailable – his development of psychoanalysis was particularly useful in the treatment of those with neuroses.
- The case studies required personal interpretation.
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. At what age does the Latency period occur?
- Lasts from birth to around 18 months.
- Around the age of about 5 years old.
- Starts at puberty.
- Lasts from 18 months to around 3 years old.
3. What is libido?
- Energy that never increases or decreases; sexual energy.
- The instinct for self-preservation and sexual energy, which leads to arousal.
- The death instinct; provides energy to inhibit eros.
4. What is the adult character if fixation occurs in the anal stage?
- Either anal-expulsive OR anal-retentive.
- Either envious, pessimistic and sarcastic OR optimistic, admiring and gullible.
- Reckless, vain, proud, and possibly incapable of loving another person.
- Fixation cannot occur.
5. What are defence mechanisms?
- Keeping thoughts in the unconscious mind so that they are not remembered, as they are not allowed inside the conscious.
- Designed to push thoughts, feelings and desires out of the conscious mind, or can transfer a desire onto something safer.
- The conflicting demands in the id.