1. What is the function of valves?
- Ensure the blood is flowing very fast
- To prevent backflow
- Prevent carbon dioxide diffusing into tissues
- Ensure all oxygen diffuses from the blood
1 of 12
Other questions in this quiz
2. Which is not a way in which blood flow is maintained in the veins?
- One way valves to prevent backflow
- Breathing movements of the chest act as a pump forcing blood towards the heart
- Elastic recoil
- Muscles contract squeezing the veins forcing blood towards the heart
3. Which is NOT an adaption of the capillaries?
- Rough lining
- Walls which are 1 cell thick
- Bigger cross sectional area than the artery supplying them
- Large surface area for diffusion
4. What is the function of arterioles?
- Prevent the diffusion of excess water
- Remove tissue fluid
- Constrict and dilate to control blood flow to individual organs
- Link capillaries and veins
5. What are capillary walls made of?
- Collagen and endothelium
- Elastic Fibres
- 1 cell thick endothelium
- Endothelium and smooth muscle