1. Who decided on the list of suitable judges?
- The Boule (a council of 500 citizens) drew a list of those suitable to be judges from each of the 10 tribes. They then placed the names in 10 urns.
- The Archon (the man in charge of running the entire festival)
- The Priest of Dionysus (the holy Priest of Dionysus was respected by all and chose those the gods favored)
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What plays were performed each day?
- 3 tragedies, 1 comedy and 1 satyr
- 3 tragedies and 1 comedy
- 6 tragedies
3. What did the Proargon do?
- It was a chance for men to demonstrate their manliness by seeing who could throw the javelin the furthest
- Let the actors practice on the stage
- Publicised the plays in advance of their performance.
- Showed off the actor's costumes
4. Name one event of civic importance that took place
- Citizens who had committed crimes were punished in the town square
- Names of citizens who had got special crowns for their civic duties were annonced
- The shops would hold a big market for all the foreigners to buy goods
5. How many plays were there each day?
Similar Classical Civilization resources: