1. What did the Proargon do?
- It was a chance for men to demonstrate their manliness by seeing who could throw the javelin the furthest
- Publicised the plays in advance of their performance.
- Showed off the actor's costumes
- Let the actors practice on the stage
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What happened to judge the playwrights?
- An assembly was held to review the festival, Archons might be praised or critisied
- Each judge wrote his order of merit on a stone tablet, the Archon drew 5, the verdict was decided on the order of merit on these 5 tablets
- An ivy wreath was given to the best choregos, a bronze tripod to the best poet
3. Komos was a....
- ...a chance for the citizens of Athens to buy new slaves
- ...opportunity for uninhibited pleasure with wine, singing and dancing
- ...a meeting before the plays were performed to discuss the festival
4. During the comedies, what did the Chorus do?
- Stayed still
- Threw nuts and raisins to keep the audience entertained
- Fought each other with fake swords
5. What did choregoi pay for?
- A sacred bull to be sacrificed on the Alter of Dionysus
- Salaries, costumes ,training, hire musicians
Similar Classical Civilization resources: