1. Name one event of civic importance that took place
- Citizens who had committed crimes were punished in the town square
- Names of citizens who had got special crowns for their civic duties were annonced
- The shops would hold a big market for all the foreigners to buy goods
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Before the contest began the Archon...
- ...sacrified a young heifer and sprinkled the blood in a circle in the Orchestra
- ...rang the sacred bell
- ...drew out one name from each urn/tribe from the ten urns. These would then be the 10 judges.
- ...officially declared the festival open
3. What did the Proargon do?
- Publicised the plays in advance of their performance.
- Let the actors practice on the stage
- Showed off the actor's costumes
- It was a chance for men to demonstrate their manliness by seeing who could throw the javelin the furthest
4. Who was a choregos?
- A famous lyre player
- A member of the chorus, the lead member
- A sponsor for a production, would be a wealthy citizen
- A famous actor who has his name inscribed on the Dionysus statue
5. Who were the epheboi?
- Young men of military age
- Men who had won battles
- The councillors of Athens
Similar Classical Civilization resources: