1. Who decided on the list of suitable judges?
- The Priest of Dionysus (the holy Priest of Dionysus was respected by all and chose those the gods favored)
- The Boule (a council of 500 citizens) drew a list of those suitable to be judges from each of the 10 tribes. They then placed the names in 10 urns.
- The Archon (the man in charge of running the entire festival)
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. How was the theatre purified?
- A young heifer was killed and its blood poured
- A suckling pig was killed and its blood poured
- A slave was killed and their blood poured
3. What plays were performed each day?
- 6 tragedies
- 3 tragedies, 1 comedy and 1 satyr
- 3 tragedies and 1 comedy
4. Before the contest began the Archon...
- ...rang the sacred bell
- ...officially declared the festival open
- ...drew out one name from each urn/tribe from the ten urns. These would then be the 10 judges.
- ...sacrified a young heifer and sprinkled the blood in a circle in the Orchestra
5. Name one event of civic importance that took place
- Names of citizens who had got special crowns for their civic duties were annonced
- The shops would hold a big market for all the foreigners to buy goods
- Citizens who had committed crimes were punished in the town square
Similar Classical Civilization resources: