1. Who decided on the list of suitable judges?
- The Boule (a council of 500 citizens) drew a list of those suitable to be judges from each of the 10 tribes. They then placed the names in 10 urns.
- The Archon (the man in charge of running the entire festival)
- The Priest of Dionysus (the holy Priest of Dionysus was respected by all and chose those the gods favored)
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did choregoi pay for?
- Salaries, costumes ,training, hire musicians
- A sacred bull to be sacrificed on the Alter of Dionysus
3. How many playwrights were chosen to submit 3 tragedies each?
4. What did the judges swear?
- To be rigerous
- To not drink any wine and get drunk
- An oath of impartiality
- Not to kill anyone
5. What happened to judge the playwrights?
- An assembly was held to review the festival, Archons might be praised or critisied
- Each judge wrote his order of merit on a stone tablet, the Archon drew 5, the verdict was decided on the order of merit on these 5 tablets
- An ivy wreath was given to the best choregos, a bronze tripod to the best poet
Similar Classical Civilization resources: