1. What did the Proargon do?
- Publicised the plays in advance of their performance.
- Showed off the actor's costumes
- It was a chance for men to demonstrate their manliness by seeing who could throw the javelin the furthest
- Let the actors practice on the stage
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. What did the judges swear?
- To be rigerous
- To not drink any wine and get drunk
- An oath of impartiality
- Not to kill anyone
3. Who were the epheboi?
- Young men of military age
- Men who had won battles
- The councillors of Athens
4. What happened to judge the playwrights?
- An assembly was held to review the festival, Archons might be praised or critisied
- Each judge wrote his order of merit on a stone tablet, the Archon drew 5, the verdict was decided on the order of merit on these 5 tablets
- An ivy wreath was given to the best choregos, a bronze tripod to the best poet
5. What were the masks made out of?
- Birch wood which was then painted with mud
- Linen, plaster + then painted
- Cement and face dye
Similar Classical Civilization resources: