1. What plays were performed each day?
- 3 tragedies, 1 comedy and 1 satyr
- 3 tragedies and 1 comedy
- 6 tragedies
1 of 20
Other questions in this quiz
2. Who decided on the list of suitable judges?
- The Boule (a council of 500 citizens) drew a list of those suitable to be judges from each of the 10 tribes. They then placed the names in 10 urns.
- The Archon (the man in charge of running the entire festival)
- The Priest of Dionysus (the holy Priest of Dionysus was respected by all and chose those the gods favored)
3. What did the Skene do?
- It was the seating area for the poorest members of the audience
- It was an emergency exit in case of a fire
- Served as a backdrop, actors could change behind it
- It was a temple to Dionysus
4. Name another event of civic importance that took place.
- Boys whose fathers had been killed in war (educated at state expense) were paraded.
- Boys whose fathers had been killed in war (educated at state expense) were sacrificed.
- Boys whose fathers had been killed in war (educated at state expense) were exiled from Athens.
5. Komos was a....
- ...a chance for the citizens of Athens to buy new slaves
- ...opportunity for uninhibited pleasure with wine, singing and dancing
- ...a meeting before the plays were performed to discuss the festival
Similar Classical Civilization resources: